history of Khalsa College of Education, Amritsar
Khalsa College of Education has its roots in the main Khalsa College, Amritsar. It started its onerous Journey as a B.T. Deptt,. in the year 1954. In 1959, the B.T. Deptt., took the shape of a full fledged independent college and was housed in the present magnificent building, then known as “Patiala House”, a gift from His Highness Maharaja Rajinder Singh Mohinder Bahadhur ruler of Patiala, at his coronation on October 23rd 1890. Initially, there were two units of 100 B.T. students, subsequently one unit of J.B.T. and two more units of B.Ed. students were added.In 1969, J.B.T. class was taken over by the state Govt. and shifted to J.B.T. centre, Verka. In 1969-70, M.Ed. class was added which is functioning satisfactorily till date and is providing teacher educators to this region. In the year 1987-88, G.N.D.U. started M.Phil (Education) class in this college, which was discontinued in 1995-96 with a plea that M.Phil had become irrelevant with the introduction of National Eligibility Test for the recruitment of College teachers. In the year 1991-92, the college took another progressive step and started one year B.Ed. N & E course with graduation as the basic qualification. However, this had to be discontinued in the session 1994-95, as the state Govt. did not recognize this course equivalent to B.Ed. At present, the college has 50 M.Ed., 200 B.Ed. and 40 PGDCA (T.E.) seats. This college also acts as a centre for in-service teacher training for B.Ed. (Distance Mode) of Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi. About 200 students are presently doing B.Ed. (D.M) under the experienced guidance of the staff. From the session 2009-10 IGNOU has established a programme centre in this college for M.Ed. (Distance Mode) . This college has produced maximum number of Ph.D. in Education in Punjab. It’s singular contribution is much greater than the contribution of all the colleges of Education in Punjab. The college has planned to start P.G. Diploma in Early Childcare and Education (PGDECCE), Certificate Course in Early Childcare and Education (CCECCE) and Certificate Course in Human Rights and Duties Education (CCHRDE). For these programmes , we are in the process to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Newzealand ,Teritary College, Auckland, Newzealand. Each programme will have 50 seats. It is a matter of pride that Khalsa College of Education is the first institution in the Northern Region, which has been recognized by N.C.T.E. and accepted as Nodal institution for the North Zone. The National Council of Teacher Education has also made this college a Master co-ordinating college for conducting Information Communication Technology Camps in Punjab and neighbouring states. In future, this college will act as Multi-media Development and Research Center of N.C.T.E. The college has been accreditated and re-accreditated as A grade institution by NAAC at 3.35 CGPA.
In the 9th plan, the college received special grant for Women’s hostel and Library extension (3.5 Lac). The project of Women’s Hostel has been completed at the cost of Rs. 20 lac. It goes to the credit of the present Managing Committee for spending more than Rs. 17 lac for the completion of this project. The hostel is well equipped with latest facilities and is named after Maharani Jindan in Commemoration of 200 years of Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s coronation. In the 10th Plan, the college completed the extension of the first floor of Maharani Jindan Girls Hostel. During the session 2006-2007 Maharani Jindan Open Air Auditorium with a capacity of 1000 seats has been constructed in the hostel campus. The College will enhance the intake capacity of boarders from 72 to 100 during the financial year 2011-12. During the Eleventh Plan, The College has received a sanction for a granrt of Rupees 39.5 Lacs from UGC for the development of Infrastructure. The UGC has established Mahatama Gandhi Study & Research centre under UGC scheme of EPOCH making Social Thinkers of India.For this project the college has received a grant of Rs.9 Lacs. The college will continue to get this grant every year on the basis of performance & evaluation. A grant of Rupees 12 Lacs has been given by the Govt. of India for the installation of 5 KW Hybrid Solar Wind Energy System. The college has avaialed the subsidies from 33 to 75 % for the installation of Solar Water Heating Systems and LCD Dusk- to-Dawn lighting system. The college has updated the college canteen with modern facilities. The college has also compeleted the project of shifting the computer lab to a newly constructed wing with ultra modern facilities. The computer lab has unlimited internet facility and Wi-Fi enabled Zone .New hall of 1000 sq. ft. has been constructed for Gandhian Bhawan. This hall is attached with workshop area for creative arts. The project of Heritage Guest House has been completed with a cost of 40 Lacs and now it has become operational w.e.f. September 2009. It has accomodatiuon of 20 well furnished rooms. The college has also undertaken the renovation of Jind Hostel with a estimated cost of 25 Lacs. 40 Cubical rooms are ready from the session 2010-11. The project of extension of library is going on. To enhance the capacity of college hall and to add music-cum-green room is on agenda for infrastructural development. A verandah encompassing the existing hall will be added for making it eco-friendly.The college has undertaken the project of converting the classrooms into smart classrooms with modern technological equipement. Physical Sciences and Life Sciences Laboratories will be renovated and shifted to more spacious building with modern amenties. The challenging task of renovation of the original structure has been undertaken vigorously. The old rooms have been given a new look by converting them into well equipped seminar room, guest rooms, craft room, a seminar hall and parking area. College is having number of lush-green well maintained lawns for staff and students. An Open Air Theatre is a new addition to the previous building of the college.
The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee in the year 2003. College updated its library, laboratories and audio-visual centre. The college established a Educational Clinic to give the educational & occupational guidance to the students. The college is going to start a NETWORK RESEARCH CENTRE. The college has created a placement cell through which every year a large number of PGDCA (T.E.), B.Ed. & M.Ed. students get placements in reputed institutions. Our college is producing highest number of UGC NET/JRF qualified students, teacher educators & Principals in the country. The college has created Higher Education Institute Society and got it registered under Society’s Registration Act XXI of 1860. This society will play a major role in promotion of need based Information Communication Technology (ICT) courses alongwith other courses like IELTS, TOEFL etc The college has established a modern language lab. for providing facilities to the would be teachers to improve their communication skills .Not only this the college has created a recording room for recording the best teaching programmes for the feed back of the students.
With all the financial help from the Govt./Non-Govt. Agencies and with the grace of God this College will become Model Institute in the field of Teacher Education in the days to come.Principal